Under California Education Code 46000 and MPUSD BP # 5113/AR #5113 schools must track all absences and report them to the state.
1. All absences must be cleared by telephone or email. Only parents or legal guardians may clear absences.
2. Parents may call their school’s Attendance Office and speak directly to the attendance clerk or school secretary.
3. All absences should be cleared within 24 hours of their occurrence. An absence not cleared for five days will be considered truant.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 48200, a pupil shall be excused from school when the absence is:
1. Due to his or her illness.
2. Due to quarantine under the direction of a county/city health officer.
3. For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic services rendered.
4. For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside California.
5. For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided for by law.
6. Due to the illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent.
7. For justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats, attendance at an employment conference, or attendance at an educational conference on the legislative or judicial process offered by a nonprofit organization when the pupil's absence is requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards established by the governing board.
8. For the purpose of serving as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Section 12302 of the Elections Code.
9. For the purpose of spending time with a member of the pupil’s immediate family, who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, as defined in Section 49701, and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from, deployment to a combat zone or combat support position. Absences granted pursuant to this paragraph shall be granted for a period of time to be determined at the discretion of the superintendent of the school district.
10. For the purpose of attending the pupil’s naturalization ceremony to become a United States citizen.
An absence due to any reason not listed above will be marked as an unexcused absence.
*Please see the MPUSD information notifications handbook for more information regarding absences: