|What is the IB Diploma Programme?|
The International Baccalaureate Programme is an internationally recognized diploma program, offering rigorous, challenging, and advanced academic curriculum, while also developing students into community leaders and global citizen in the 21st century.
- Comprehensive, engaging, and balanced college-preparatory program for grades 11 and 12
- Internationally recognized diploma
- Offered in 4,900 schools worldwide, over 145 countries
- Provides flexibility to accommodate student interest and abilities
- Challenges students to not only exercise strengths, but also develop in areas where they may feel less confident
- Globally recognized with internationalism as the integral theme
- Recognized as a standard for college admissions
- IB students are generally better prepared and outperform other students in college
- Students take all their classes at the IB level, which carries weight (like AP classes)
- Students who successfully complete the program may achieve the IB Diploma, which is an international qualification, and may earn enough credits to start college as sophomores!
- Sense of preparedness, self-confidence, college-level research skills, and the willingness to be actively engaged in their own learning
|IB Diploma Programme Requirements:|
- Successfully complete 6 IB level courses (across six groups of study)
- Successfully complete the Theory of Knowledge (TOK) course
- Successfully complete the Extended Essay (EE)
- Successfully complete the Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) requirement
|IB Diploma Programme Anticipated Course of Study:|
|Group 1||Language A||Language and Literature||HL|
|Group 2||Language B||
French ab initio
|Group 3||Individuals and Societies||History of the Americas||HL|
|Group 4||Experimental Sciences||
Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches
Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation
|Group 6||The Arts/Electives||
Sports, Exercise and Health Science
Environmental Systems and Societies
DP Core Requirements
Theory of Knowledge (TOK)
a course that integrates the 6 subject groups through common inquiry and reflection on the nature of truth and worldwide cultural shifts
Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS)
take part in experiences and a project to develop self-confidence and to become more well-rounded
Extended Essay (EE)
an independent, self-directed 4,000 word academic research paper on topic of interest
|IB Diploma Programme FAQs:|
Q. Can I be a full IB diploma candidate and still be a member of ROTC, Band, or Leadership?
A. Yes. The MHS administration and DP Leadership are developing a flexible schedule model that allows you to do both.
Q. Is it possible for an IB diploma candidate to maintain their academy affiliation?
A. Yes. The course offerings have been selected with the AMP, MAOS, & SPARC academies in mind and all academy directors have been involved in the IB DP planning process.
Q. Is it possible to take Diploma Programme courses and not attempt the full diploma?
A. Yes. Students are encouraged to discuss their interests and strengths with their counselor when scheduling classes for the next school year in late January or early February of their sophomore year.
|IB Diploma Programme Application:|
Please submit applications by January 31, 2019 to the IB Center in the library or the
DP Coordinator's mailbox. If possible, please submit applications prior to the deadline.
Join the Class of 2021